Thursday, March 27, 2008

CGtalk challenge(part 1)






These sketches are for the newest CGtalk challenge, dealing with human-alien relationships. I'm a big sci-fi fan but I havn't done much work dealing with non-human characters, so I thought this would be a fun project to start up. I've never done a fully finished digital painting, and having a deadline means I'll be more likely to finish the piece. My Idea for the contest is scene with "space hobos" camping around a fire. I thought this would be a good opportunity to show a diverse group with an interesting variety of clothing, gear and foods. I also think the campfire will be a great light source, and provide a centre of interest in the centre of the composition. In the background there will be a space-port with all types of flying ships so its clear that this is a futurist scene. I'm still planning out the poses and expressions on the characters, I'd like keep the scene interesting by telling little stories and insert a few jokes. Here are the first batch of drawings.

No comments: